Sunday, October 14, 2012

My new church is... online?

"Fear of man will be a snare. G-d will lead you to do something that others may find weird. [...] What are people going to think?"
I just opened up this page to write and the sermon I'm listening to said that. Thank you, Craig Groeschel.


While I was at church this morning (I'm still not sure how I feel about saying that... Am I "at church" or am I "watching church"?), I was laughing. I love this church. Being able to enjoy myself and to worship G-d AND to still have moments when I get a 2x4 slapped upside my head is so rare, so cool. I typed into the chat box that since I'm sitting across from my host dad laughing with my headphones in he probably thinks I'm insane. And one of the volunteers that "works" the chat suggested I invite him along.

And the excuses started.

But there's a language barrier. Yes, he speaks English but will he understand the southern accent? Is it too fast?

But this is an American service. Will the references/jokes go over his head? Are they too culturally based?

But his father is Jewish. Would I insult him?

But he's working. I shouldn't interrupt him.

And on. And on. And on. But do you know what? It all comes down to this: I was afraid. I don't share Christ like that mostly. To invite someone to pray with me or read the Bible with me or watch a sermon with me isn't my style. Is that just a difference in technique, if you will? Or is that me being afraid of sharing, of ministering? Is that an acceptable "I just share in other ways" difference or is that a "I'm kind of an immature lukewarm Christian" difference? I don't want to be lukewarm or immature.
I know your deeds that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth. Revelation 3:15-16
I want to be embraced by Christ and not spit out and dashed aside!  I don't want to hesitate to share my faith. But...

How do I juggle that line between sharing my faith and forcing it down someone's throat? Between being open and transparent and being pushy? I don't want to hide my light under a basket. I want to be a city on a hill. But how do I do that in a way that doesn't alienate people?

0 comments:

Post a Comment